Official ReleasesOur position statements and white papers.
Magnetar Capital UChicago Financial Education Initiative
March 2017 Initiative Goals, March 2017
The Magnetar Capital UChicago Financial Education Initiative was launched in July 2016 to develop the tools, resources, and capacity to spread robust financial education across America. Housed at UChicago STEM Education, the Initiative will tap into the group’s expertise in learning science, curriculum design, digital tool development, and assessment, as well as its experience with schools and districts. During the first two and a half years, the Initiative will…
- Develop a 5-hour online professional learning course for teachers to review financial literacy content at their own pace;
- Undertake a rigorous research and design process to identify and test promising practices in youth financial education;
- Intertwine content knowledge with pedagogical approaches that impact student behavior, making this program the first of its kind;
- Partner with Chicago area teachers to field test new instructional materials and tools;
- Build an active online community for high school financial literacy teachers, in which teachers can view and share curated resources and participate in discussions about content and pedagogy;
- Develop new digital and interactive tools to supplement the curriculum;
- Synchronize with local and national efforts to garner support for financial education instruction; and
- Determine the best business models and mechanisms to bring robust financial education to scale.